Orcus 0.19.0, Apache Arrow and CMake

Kohei Yoshida kohei at libreoffice.org
Mon Oct 2 23:06:01 UTC 2023

Hi Michael,

On 9/29/23 05:33, Michael Stahl wrote:
> hi Kohei,
>
> On 29/09/2023 03:16, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
>> Now, it's my understanding that we still don't support use of CMake
>> to build our external libraries. My question is, what do people think
>> of adding support for CMake in our build system? Would that be too
>> much effort and not worth it, or would it be worthwhile to add
>> support for it, but so far it has not been anybody's priority, or ... ?
>>
>> Please let me know what your opinions are.
>
> so as far as i remember, the reason why CMake isn't required currently
> is mainly that nobody so far wanted to add it as yet another build
> dependency that people have to install - there isn't anything
> inherently wrong with the idea and it could be called from makefiles
> just like other external build systems.

That's good to know.  Let me think about this for a bit.  The truth is
that I'm not 100% sure whether I can commit to working on adding CMake
executable as an additional build requirement myself.  I can imagine
even adding an additional executable to our current buildsystem can be
very complex and tedious.

Hmm...

Kohei