Re: Any ideas why lock files do not work in Chrome OS’ Linux VM?

Mike Kaganski mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 14 18:23:28 UTC 2023

On 13.10.2023 19:46, Paul Menzel wrote:
> The German tutorial *LibreOffice unter Google Chrome OS auf einem
> Chromebook nutzen* [1] says to disable create of lock files by editing
> `/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice` and commenting out the lines below:
>
>      SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1 export
>      SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING
>
> Then, under expert settings `useLocking` and `UseDocumentOOoLockfile`
> need to be set to `false`.
>
> Does somebody know, why this is needed? Could LibreOffice be improved to
> enable/disable file locking at runtime depending on the environment?

> [1]:
> https://linux-in-der-schule.de/2021/05/03/libreoffice-unter-google-chrome-os-auf-einem-chromebook-nutzen/

The tutorial explains, that "unfortunately you can't open any files yet
because LibreOffice can't create lock files". If it is so, only you can
tell (I would suggest trying first); and if so, please file a bug report
at https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/, with steps to reproduce. Only
that could enable to improve LibreOffice.

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski