line break attribute 'clear' in other writing modes than LTR

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Sat Apr 6 17:39:13 UTC 2024

Hi all,

the ODF TC is working on issue OFFICE-4124 'clear' attribute for line
breaks [1]. This attribute has been introduced by Miklos for LibreOffice
7.6.

The question arises in the TC, how this attribute is supposed to work in
other writing modes than LTR.

The corresponding attribute in CSS seems to work so, that clear:left
uses the physical meaning of 'left' and not the meaning of 'start'. But
without knowledge of an RTL language nor a CJK language, I cannot really
test it.

So perhaps someone with knowledge in such languages can examine how
LibreOffice interprets clear:left and clear:right. (Hossein? Jonathan?)
And Miklos can tell how it is intended to work?

The command is located in the UI in menu Insert > More breaks > Manual
Break. That opens the 'Insert Break' dialog. Chose the option 'Line
break' there and then one of the items in drop-down list 'Restart Location'.

It would be helpful, if you not only test it, but when you could provide
suitable test documents too; and in case LibreOffice has a proper export
of this attribute to docx (I don't know), then test documents in docx
format too.

[1] https://issues.oasis-open.org/projects/OFFICE/issues/OFFICE-4124

Kind regards,
Regina