Is it still possible to compile LibreOffice 24 for Linux 32-bit?

Escuelas Linux escuelaslinux at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 18:51:06 UTC 2024

 The release notes for the latest version of LibreOffice (24.2) state that

"The minimum requirements for building and running LibreOffice on Linux
have been raised from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7/CentOS 7 to Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 8/CentOS 8 (or equivalent)".

Since Red Hat/CentOS 8 does not have a 32-bit edition, I wonder if my
problems compiling for 32-bit are due to a possible lack of support.

I have been compiling LibreOffice for Linux 32-bit since the Foundation
stopped releasing 32-bit binaries. I have been able to solve problems,
sometimes on my own, sometimes with the generous help of people on this
very mailing list.

But now I'm stuck.

I am using Debian 12 Bookworm 32-bit as my OS base. I downloaded all the
dependencies asked for on the BuildingOnLinux Foundation wiki.

Since trying to compile 24.2 with a simple 'make' treats all warnings as
errors, I tried using

make CFLAGS="-Wno-error" CXXFLAGS="-Wno-error"

But this approach only resulted in some non-compileable modules.

I was finally able to compile most of them using

make -Wall -Wno-restrict

But it stops at one of the last stages with this message:

"/usr/bin/ld: Error: /tmp/ccDBatVc.ltrans0.ltrans.o(.data.rel.ro) is too
big (0x3ef58 bytes)

/usr/bin/ld: Could not set dynamic section sizes: memory exhausted

collect2: Error: ld returned 1 exit state

make[1]: ***
[/home/linux/Downloads/libreoffice-24.2.0.3/Library_merged.mk:11:
/home/linux/Downloads/libreoffice-24.2.0.3/instdir/program/libmergedlo.so]
Error"

Since I have allocated 12 GB of RAM in the virtual machine, I don't know
why the memory is exhausted.

Guys, have any idea what's going on?

P.S. I get the same error message when I run 'make' alone.