Is anybody using LO's JavaScript editor window?

Stephan Bergmann stephan.bergmann at allotropia.de
Mon Mar 25 15:13:03 UTC 2024

For each of BeanShell and JavaScript, we support some edit window in
which such scripts can be typed in and modified, and from which those
scripts can be run.  (For example, under "Tools - Macros - Organize
Macros - JavaScript..." select "Macros - Application Macros - Hello
World - helloworld.js" and click "Edit".)  For Python, on the other
hand, we do not offer such an edit window at all.

Now, how widespread is the use of this edit window feature for
JavaScript, actually?  Does anybody use it, would anybody miss it?
(This is only about the JavaScript feature, the BeanShell edit window is
not affected.)

I'm asking because I have
<https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/165190> "Update to latest Rhino
1.7.14" as a potential master change.  But, as its commit message says:
"Update [...] at the expense of losing, at least for now, the script
editor for it (which had been hacked into the old upstream sources in a
hard-to-maintain way)."

(And, in turn, the reason why I'd like to update Rhino is because I have
a JS script that our old Rhino 1.5 just can't comprehend.)