Adding support for the Common Print Dialog Backends (CPDB)

Michael Weghorn m.weghorn at posteo.de
Tue Mar 26 14:22:22 UTC 2024

Hi Biswadeep,

On 2024-03-24 14:24, Biswadeep Purkayastha wrote:
> Hello, I am Biswadeep Purkayastha, a contributor to OpenPrinting. I am
> reaching out to the community with a request for assistance in
> integrating CPDB (Common Print Dialog Backends) support into the current
> LibreOffice print dialog. CPDB has evolved a lot since the last time an
> attempt was made at providing CPDB support around 6 years ago and so has
> LibreOffice. So I am willing to adapt the older
> code(https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/40565
> <https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/40565>) to align with the current
> LibreOffice and CPDB versions(https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cpdb-libs
> <https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cpdb-libs>).

That sounds great.

Do I understand correctly that the idea is that the new CPDB-based
approach would remain optional (for now at least), i.e. replace the
previous CPDB implementation and co-exist with the existing code
directly using CUPS/PPD API, rather than making it mandatory to use the
new approach unconditionally once it's implemented?

> To accomplish this task
> effectively, I am seeking guidance and support from LibreOffice
> developers who can provide insights into the current codebase and help
> me achieve this integration. Additionally, having a mentor from the
> LibreOffice community would greatly facilitate the process, allowing for
> smoother integration and ensuring adherence to best practices. If anyone
> in the community is willing to assist or mentor me through this
> endeavor, I would greatly appreciate your support. Please feel free to
> reach out to me via email.

I'm generally willing to support/mentor this project from the
LibreOffice side.

Our wiki has some general documentation on how to get started with
LibreOffice development:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have either on the
regular channels (like IRC and this mailing list) or directly.

Regards,
Michael