[Libva] any examples using vaPutImage?

Attila Szilagyi attbimmer at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 19 09:08:33 PDT 2009

I've been looking at using vaPutImage and so far have no had much luck getting an image to display in an X window. Below is basically what I am doing.

init (ie:XOpenDisplay, vaGetDisplay, vaInitialize)

vaCreateSurfaces
vaQueryImageFormats (only supported image type returned is AYUV)
vaCreateImage
vaMapBuffer (map created image to local buf ptr)
fill local buf with simple test pattern
vaUnmapBuffer
vaPutImage (put to surface created above)

XCreateSimpleWindow
XMapWindow (also tried XMapRaised)
XSync

vaPutSurface (put to window created above)
(also tried adding XFlush)

All va functions return success, but at the end all I get is a blank window.

I am using libva 0.28, S3G Driver 1.0 with an S3 540GTX card and running Ubuntu. I ran most test programs in the libva src package and those worked. Also mplayer is working using va and doing the same kind of test with XPutImage works as well.

I've searched around quite a bit, but haven't really found anything using vaPutImage. Are there any working examples using vaPutImage? Does the above sequence look like it should work or am I way off? I've just started looking at libva the last few days and am pretty new to X as well so sorry if the answer to this should be obvious.

Thanks in advance for any help.