[Libva] H264 BaseLine or Main Profile on VAAPI's VDPAU backend

Max Müller mxmr at gmx.net
Mon Aug 24 06:14:25 PDT 2009

Hi,

i am trying to decode H264 Baseline video on VAAPI with VDPAU backend.
My graphics card is the NVIDIA ION (Geforce 9400M). I am using FFMPEG
and did the initialisation similarly as on the examples from
http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/hwdecode-demos/ from
Gwenole Beauchesne.

Unfortunately i have no decoded picture output but the following output
on console:
    [h264 @ 0x9b3cae0]get_buffer() failed (0 1 2 (nil))
    [h264 @ 0x9b3cae0]decode_slice_header error
    [h264 @ 0x9b3cae0]no frame!

I think my problem is that i am using "High" profile and "Baseline" is
not supported. Or could it be some other reason?

I can do the encoding of this video using VDPAU native. At the
initialisation of VDPAU i have to use VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_H264_MAIN
which stands for "Main" profile. The initialisation with
VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_H264_HIGH does also not work there...

Here is the output at the initialisation ("Baseline" or "Main" profiles
are not listed):
    libva: libva version 0.30.4-sds2
    libva: va_NVCTRL_GetDriverName: 190.18.0 nvidia (screen 0)
    libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva: Trying to open /usr/local/lib/va/drivers/nvidia_drv_video.so
    libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
    $: VA API version 0.30
    $: 6 profiles available
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple