[Libva] [gst-devel] Video Hackfest conclusions

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Wed Nov 25 02:56:52 PST 2009

On 11/24/2009 12:47 PM, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> = Timeline =
> The end goal of all of this is to get the code into users' hands
> quickly, but allow a smooth and non-disrupting upgrade. Desired dates
> have been put forth to achieve this:
>  * End of January: release new versions of Cairo and Pixman that
> contain the new APIs reuired by GStreamer
>  * End of March: X server and Mesa releases are due - make sure the
> required Mesa extension is part of this. Ideally XrenderPutImage would
> be included, too.
>  * April/May, after next Fedora/Ubuntu releases: Merge Cairo support
> into gst-plugins-base and start porting elements to it. Encourage
> application developers (browser, Flash players) to make use of the new
> APIs
>  * October: another Fedora/Ubuntu release that switches all users to
> the new APIs

thanks for the conclusion. one thing which would be very useful (for me
and may be others).
Fedora/Ubuntu is a very fast moving target, but i understood it as a
good target for gstreamer. although some people (like me) would like to
use a more robust os like rhel/centos. but currently it's not possible
to update gstreamer to newer version on rhel/centos since gstreamer
depend on glib/gtk which is too old in rhel for newer gstreamer.
as (probably) rhel-6 will be out in 2010 it means that version of
glib/gtk/cairo which will be in rhel-6 will remain for many years in the
rhel/centos-6.
so if i dare to ask that gtk/glib/cairo version in rhel-6 should have to
enough for these features. ie. rise the required gtk/glib/cairo version
in the current gstreamer to be enough for later version. otherwise these
features can't be used in rhel-6 for many years.
thanks in advance.
regards.