[Libva] [LIBVA] Anyone could help, why I am not able to get video with mplayer-vaapi ?

alanwww1 alanwww1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 14:34:31 PST 2011

I tried to compile a vaapi-enabled mplayer like this:

git clone -b hwaccel-vaapi git://git.gitorious.org/vaapi/mplayer.git
cd mplayer

I checked out ffmmpeg and than

cd ffmpeg
git checkout n0.9
cd ..
./configure --enable-vaapi
make

Compiles fine, but when playing any h264 video with

mplayer -vo vaapi file.mkv

Gives an error and I only have audio, no video. Message is:

Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

I have the latest pre 1.16 vaapi and intel drivers. vainfo shows perfect
output. Vaapi is working with XBMC on this setup. GPU: Intel Sandy Bridge.

Can anyone help ?