[Libva] H.264/AVC encode, Intel® HD Graphics 2000/3000, linux

Brian Brown brianwbrown at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 21 10:30:22 PDT 2011

I asked this question over at the intel-gfx list and they said I should ask here as well.

Is anyone aware of any linux projects (preferably ffmpeg) that can encode H.264/AVC using the iGPU of the sandy bridge Intel® HD Graphics 2000/3000? What I'm looking for is a ffmpeg library (similar to libvpx, libx264) that incorporates libva's SNB onboard GPU support of h.264 encoding. A high speed h.264 encoding alternate to libx264 would be of great value to the community. Not to diminish the value of libx264 but to give the community a choice between a highly capable software encoder and high speed hardware assist version for those who may not need the all the features of the software version. I'm a product guy, not a developer otherwise I'd do it myself. Does anyone know of a developer that may be interested in doing this?