[Libva] Status of libva and mplayer/ffmpeg?

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Thu Oct 6 09:09:59 PDT 2011

> Erik I compiled it a week or two ago. "-va" worked on mine although it
> wasnt really doing much.

I must correct myself here, the -va switch indeed works, if one supplies
a file to be played to mplayer ;-)

So now I do this:

~/mplayer -va vaapi -vo vaapi BBC\ Children\ In\ Need\ 2010.mp4

(which is an mp4 file with h264 inside)

Output:

libavformat file format detected.
[lavf] stream 0: video (h264), -vid 0
[lavf] stream 1: audio (aac), -aid 0, -alang eng
VIDEO:  [H264]  1440x1080  24bpp  25.000 fps  9979.2 kbps (1218.2 kbyte/s)
libva: libva version 0.32.0
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
Opening video filter: [screenshot]
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
[VD_FFMPEG] VA API accelerated codec.
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
Unsupported PixelFormat 61
[VD_FFMPEG] Trying pixfmt=1.
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
Unsupported PixelFormat 61
[VD_FFMPEG] Trying pixfmt=0.
Unsupported PixelFormat 61
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
[VD_FFMPEG] Trying pixfmt=2.
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
[VD_FFMPEG] Trying pixfmt=3.
VO: [vaapi] 1440x1080 => 1920x1080 Planar YV12  [fs]
[h264 @ 0xca0cc0]Cannot parallelize deblocking type 1, decoding such
frames in sequential order

The cpu usage doesn't drop and the last message proves to me that hw
accel isn't used, but ffmpeg's internal h264 decoder is used instead.

What am I doing wrong here?