[Libva] Status of libva and mplayer/ffmpeg?

Gwenole Beauchesne gb.devel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 02:23:30 PDT 2011

Hi,

2011/10/10 Erik Slagter <erik at slagter.name>:

>> MPlayer is already using FFmpeg. Or I don't understand what you mean.
>
> What I mean is that ffmpeg (or actually: the libavcodec lib) would feature
> e.g. an h264_vaapi codec that would decode (encode?!) any stream like the
> interal decoder (vs. libx264) would do, a drop-in replacement. I guess that
> way no player program that uses ffmpeg (including the ffmpeg cli tool) would
> be able to use vaapi without patching.
>
> But I guess there is a good reason not to do it that way ;-)

This is already the case and the way all FFmpeg-based media players
are using it (VLC, XBMC, Gnash, et al.). Though, you have to do some
work on the media player side to create a VA display. There was also
work-in-progress to move more things to the FFmpeg codecs. You can see
the hwaccel v2 patches on the relevant lists.

Regards,
Gwenole.