[Libva] Status of libva and mplayer/ffmpeg?

Gwenole Beauchesne gb.devel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 22:22:56 PDT 2011

Hi,

2011/10/27 Karthik Kailash <karthik at freestreammedia.com>:

> - Did you have to apply any patches to ffmpeg checked out from Git?  Which
> branch/tag of ffmpeg did you use?

Unless you want to sync both mplayer & ffmpeg git trees, I recommend
you fetch out the ffmpeg subdirectory from the ffmpeg.git around the
same date as the latest commit in mplayer. For ffmpeg.git use
something >= 2011/10/06. For libav.git, use something >= 2011/10/11 or
so.

> - Were you able to get the decoding/encoding acceleration working from
> ffmpeg command line?

This does not exist yet. More generally, there is no HW
decoding/encoding acceleration in ffmpeg command line tool aside from
Crystal HD (for decoding only).

> - Which codec does ffmpeg use?  When I run "ffmpeg -codecs", I only see h264
> and h264_vdpau.  Do you see a codec that corresponds to h264 with vaapi?

"ffmpeg -codecs" should not even list h264_vdpau since it won't work
in the tool either. However, the fact that you don't even see
h264_vaapi indicates that you probably have not built FFmpeg with
VA-API support (--enable-vaapi + making sure libva headers are
available and usable). i.e. please check config.log & config.mak.

Regards,
Gwenole.