[Libva] Bitrate limit for hardware decoding by intel hd graphics?

Arie Peterson ariep at xs4all.nl
Sun Jun 10 15:05:01 PDT 2012

Hello all,

(Not sure if this is the appropriate list; please correct me if not.)

What performance can I expect when decoding h264 with an Intel HD Graphics
chipset (as found on a Intel Core i5 U470)?

Appearently, the material shot by my camcorder (1080p, 50fps; bitrate around
28Mb/s) is too much; mplayer-vaapi cannot play this back at a reasonable
speed. Even some high-bitrate 1080p/25 videos are too heavy.

It seems the CPU is not maxed out though, so I wondered if the chipset or
video driver could be the bottleneck.

This is with libva-1.0.15 (latest stable provided by gentoo) and
mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20110322 with vaapi patches (I hope this is not too old).

Is there something I can do to improve decoding performance?

I'm not subscribed to the list, so please cc me.

Thanks and regards,

Arie Peterson