[Libva] (H264) Reference Picture selection

Gwenole Beauchesne gb.devel at gmail.com
Wed May 14 01:41:29 PDT 2014

Hi,

>> > Then the driver needs to be fixed to not assume anything. The API and
>> > operation points look clear enough, aren't they?
>>
>> Sorry that something is not described very clearly in my previous email
>> because of one typo error.
>>
>>    If the Slice_header info is exposed, app should be responsible of
>> generating the slice header info and then passed it into the driver.
>>    If the slice_header info is not exposed, the driver will be
>> responsible of generating the slice header info.
>>
>> And it is difficult to mix the above two working modes without a lot of
>> changes.
>
> Another thing is for CBR, the QP might be changed per frame in the
> driver and app/middleware doesn't not know the final QP. How does app
> get the right slice_qp_delta to build the right packed slice header ?
> does app always use a fixed slice_qp_delta ?

AFAIK, slice_qp_delta does not really matter. You can start off QP =
26 (defaults with pic_init_qp_minus26 = 0 + slice_qp_delta = 0), and
the driver can still generate per-MB QP that fits. i.e. you have an
additional delta at the macroblock layer IIRC. That should fit most
purposes.

Regards,
Gwenole.