[Libva] encoding text image in h264 at QP 1--what quality can be expected?

Matt Pekar mpekar at raineyelectronics.com
Wed Oct 8 07:18:47 PDT 2014

We use libva with the Intel driver to do live video streaming.  In the
encoding process we dynamically ramp the QP up and down as different
content flows through.

There are cases where we display simple text messages for many seconds.  In
these cases I'd like to send my QP down to 1--highest quality--and get as
close to a lossless encode as possible.

What I'm seeing is that on fonts and sharp lines a little bit of encoding
will be done regardless, leaving the text slightly fuzzy.  I tried the
new VAEncMiscParameterTypeQualityLevel setting, but it only had two levels
(1 and 2) and they didn't seem to affect the picture at all.

Are there any settings I might try to ramp the quality up even further?  Is
the fuzziness I'm seeing in the text inherent to the h264 standard, or is
this just what Intel's implementation happens to do?