[Libva] Difference between configure parameters: x11 and glx

Víctor M. Jáquez L. vjaquez at igalia.com
Tue Jan 20 00:08:36 PST 2015

On 01/19/15 at 09:19pm, Engin Firat wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been compiling gstreamer-vaapi and I have realized that there is a
> configuration parameter called enable-glx and enable-x11.
> What is the difference between them? I am assuming that, when using glx,
> vaapisink will be use hardware renderers whereas x11 will use software
> renderers. Is this assumption correct?

GLX is the "OpenGL Extension to the X Window System" [1]. One of its features
is that you can pass VA-API Surfaces to an OpenGL texture and compose a scene
with it. And this can be done using hardware renderers or software ones, that
depends on your setup.

Though, GLX is on deprecation path (AFAIK) since EGL is the new thing (tm).

vmjl

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLX