[LightDM] Remote login to Ubuntu with VNC

Jean-Michel Bouffard jmbouffard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 17:13:03 PST 2011

The Xvnc version that I'm using is vnc4server version
4.1.1+xorg4.3.0-37ubuntu3 that I installed from Synaptic in Ubuntu 11.10.
And the passwordFile option exits and it works correctly. When I use the
first option from my previous email I can log with my vnc client but it
then stays in a plain X environment with nothing more that the X mouse
cursor.

Then I tried my second option (vnc in lightdm) and in this case I'm not
able to log in the vncserver at all and I get "No password configured for
VNC Auth". In this case, after looking at the lightdm log file, I see that
it starts Xvnc with some parameters but there is nothing to identify the
location of the .vncpasswd file. Also I don't have any control on how
lightdm launches Xvnc so I cannot change that behaviour.

My goal is to have a way to connect to a virtual vnc session without having
to login to the machine first. Then in the logon screen I could use my
account information to log in as usual. To use or not the VNC password is
not that important because the login screen will control who logs in the
virtual session anyway. So if you have a solution that prevents he lightdm
vnc support to ask for a password it would be fine also...

Thanks.

Jean-Michel