[LightDM] User login/logout scripts

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Thu Dec 20 20:17:34 PST 2012

Hi folks,

After grabbing the source packages for lightdm and lightdm-gtk-greeter
from Debian experimental and applying some patches to lightdm to fix the
language selector, I now have it working on a Debian wheezy test system.

However, before it's ready for production, I need it to run a user login
script and a user logout script. Unfortunately, it seems lightdm is only
capable of running these scripts as root (via session-setup-script and
session-cleanup-script), which makes things a little more complicated,
instead of as the user logging in or out.

My question is, what is the most reliable way to determine the user
account name involved when these login and logout scripts are run?

Thanks,

Jaap