[LightDM] Controlling Which Users Show Up in Greeter

David A. Cobb superbiskit at cox.net
Fri Mar 23 08:33:56 PDT 2012

I cannot seem to hide some users (or select specific ones) on the greeter.
I set up the  /etc/lightdm/users.conf;  at first it worked --
partially:  some, but not all of the "hidden-users" did not show up.

Then, some upgrade re-installed accounts-service.  That completely undid
it!  Now several usernames that do not represent real people are back on
my greeter.  It doesn't limit using the system, of course, it just looks
unprofessional.

Evidently, I won't be able to keep accounts-service off my machine -- it
might even have some use.
So: can someone please advise me -- what info does the greeter request
from the accounts-service, and how can the accounts-service be
configured to return only selected usernames?

TIA