[LightDM] falling back to other greeters if one fails

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 15:35:51 PDT 2013

Hi Andre,

There is not a feature to provide a fallback greeter.

What LightDM attempts to do if it fails to start a greeter is to exit and
let the OS handle this failure case. In Ubuntu we start a "failsafe X
session" to get the user to fix their configuration.

We intentionally don't pick another greeter if one fails, since each
greeter may have different levels of security access. We also don't provide
any greeter with LightDM since that puts a dependency on a specific GUI
technology and the daemon is GUI agnostic.

In saying that, I do think there is a case to be able to configure more
than one greeter. I think this would be best implemented in lightdm.conf
with:
[SeatDefaults]
greeter-session=primary-greeter:secondary-greeter:tertiary-greeter

i.e. We start secondary-greeter if primary-greeter fails for some reason.
If none of the greeters work we exit.

File a bug and/or propose a branch!

Thanks,
--Robert