[LightDM] LightDM and MIR

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 12:19:06 PST 2013

OK, quick answer time:

"the plan looks very much like what we would do for Wayland"

Correct - I was not aware of the Mir project when I and Chris Halse Rogers
started on the Wayland support for LightDM. So it's basically exactly the
same thing.

"Is MIR going to be a hard dependency?"

No, if Mir libraries are required they will be an optional dependency much
like Qt is currently.

"Is Wayland support going to be dropped from plans?"

I personally aren't going to continue the Wayland work myself, but anyone
else is welcome to continue this.

"Could it support all 3 systems?"

Yes. As it will be very similar to the Mir support it shouldn't be hard to
maintain both. LightDM was always designed to be display server agnostic.
Regression tests will help us here juggling all three.

"Would Wayland related patches be rejected?".

No. See above. (Though patches need some sort of commitment to maintenance
as per normal).

"More warning on this would have been nice"

Agreed. I would have loved to make this public ages ago but was not able to.

--Robert