[LightDM] custom greeter

Zsolt Ero zsolt at kano.me
Tue Feb 11 04:23:55 PST 2014

Hi,

I am trying to develop a custom greeter for LightDM, and I would like to
ask some questions.

First, by following the tutorial and example code of Matt Fischer, after
apt-pinning and modifying "ubuntu" to "LXDE", I was able to start the
greeter, both on Raspberry Pi and x86, under Debian Wheezy.

At the moment, this is the way I install it (in preferences stable has a
preference over testing)
apt-get install gir1.2-lightdm-1 python-gobject lightdm gir1.2-gtk-3.0
liblightdm-gobject-1-0/testing

This works reliably both on the Pi and on x86. Is there any problem with
installing it like this?

OK, my main question: I'd like to have a nice graphical login screen, with
a custom avatar placed for each user, where the user could click and simply
login.

Can you tell me what is the best way to start making the very simple login
screen of Matt Fischer's example into a full-screen GUI window with avatars?

Should I edit the .ui file with some GUI tool, like Glade? How do you mix
program logic and GUI, for example when you want to have a GUI with an
unknown number of users/avatars?

Zsolt
www.kano.me