[LightDM] LightDM 1.6 end of life

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 12:45:49 PST 2014

On 29 January 2014 19:14, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at corsac.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:36:30PM +1300, Robert Ancell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As previously discussed [1] the LightDM 1.6 is no longer supported and
> will
> > receive no more updates. All users are encouraged to upgrade to LightDM
> 1.8.
> >
> > The other currently supported releases will expire on:
> > 1.2 - April 2017
> > 1.4 - April 2014
> > 1.8 - July 2014
> >
> Do you have any idea which release will be the next LTS? The 1.10 one,
> to be shipped in Ubuntu 04.14?

Yes, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will ship with LightDM 1.10 and that will be
supported until approximately 2019*. In general, I plan to make a LightDM
release for every Ubuntu release and support them for as long as the Ubuntu
release is supported.

Note if anyone does want to keep a release supported for longer I am open
to that if someone is willing to step up and maintain it. However, in the
interests of minimising risk/work I'd recommend distributions use the
versions we use in the LTS if support is important to them.

--Robert

*Not formally announced I don't think, but that is what 12.04 LTS did.
Also, 2019! That's a long time :)