[LightDM] lightdm and running the xserver without root rights

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 20:28:46 PDT 2014

Hi Hans,

Thanks for raising this! I've opened a bug [1] for this. I think this is a
good feature for LightDM to support if distributions want to shift to this
method in the future.

While we've been wanting non-root X forever in Ubuntu my guess is we will
shift to using Mir/Unity System Compositor which will remove the need for a
root X server. So that means it's unlikely I will personally spend any time
implementing this. What is less clear is what the Ubuntu derivatives
(Xubuntu etc) will do.

If other LightDM consumers want/need this please add information to the bug
so we know of the demand. I'm happy to review code of anyone who wants to
implement this. It shouldn't be too hard with the changes we made to
support next generation display servers like Mir and Wayland.

Thanks,
--Robert

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/1292324