[LightDM] Fwd: Proposal: Drop ConsoleKit support from lightdm 1.14

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 02:21:49 PST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Robert Ancell <robert.ancell at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 3:29 pm
Subject: Re: [LightDM] Proposal: Drop ConsoleKit support from lightdm 1.14
To: David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>

On 14 November 2014 03:22, David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>
wrote:

> Possibly slightly offtopic, but what are your plans regarding
> org.freedesktop.DisplayManager?

Sounds like a good topic for this mailing list to me :)

> It's mostly duplicates of consolekit/logind, with the seat tracking.

Except (as far as I can tell) there's no method to do "create a new session
> on the same seat" using logind.

We need it in the same way we need per seat LightDM configuration (for
things like configuring one seat to do XDMCP). It seems likely to me that
there will be display manager specific methods that are inappropriate to
put into a general purpose seat manager like logind/ConsoleKit.
SwitchToGuest () is the main one at the moment.

For most applications, using logind / ConsoleKit should probably be
sufficient. I think contacting the display manager directly is nicer than
accessing logind for most graphical applications as it better maps to the
information graphical apps need (i.e. don't care about text terminals). I
never pushed for other DMs to adopt it like I had originally planned, so
not sure how many apps will consume the interface.

There's always been the option for us to flesh it out to be a full seat /
device manager. I don't see any demand for such a feature (i.e. logind is
working well enough for that) so I have no plans of doing that.

In summary, no change from what it is today unless anyone has some clever
ideas.

--Robert