[LightDM] Configuring LightDM to not kill my session if VNC disconnects?

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 20:11:57 PST 2016

Hi Dawn,

LightDM uses Xvnc to allow VNC connections. The session is killed when Xvnc
quits, which is the same behaviour if any X server dies.

Xvnc quits if the TCP/IP connection is dropped, and I'm not currently aware
of it having any feature to allow re-connects (I don't know a lot about
Xvnc, so if someone does know more please let us know). If it did, we could
make use of that. I suspect based on my knowledge of VNC there's no method
of knowing a second TCP/IP connection is from the same user as the first.

So with the current technology I don't think it's possible, though it's a
very desirable feature from a user perspective.

--Robert