[Mesa-dev] r300g + mesa/st support for EXT_texture_swizzle

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 19:26:57 PDT 2010

>>     There's hw we care about which can't do this (i965, svga) and
>>     it seems unreasonable to expect them to do workarounds just so this
>>     extension can be always exposed.
>>

>> With all respect, when I ask for a cap bit for an unsupported feature in
>> the driver I work on, I am always told to implement a bloody-slow
>> workaround with a lot of code around, but when comes to the drivers you
>> guys care about, it's just "let's add a cap". Can we be fair here?
>
> Well it's a somewhat advanced feature because it's only required by GL
> 3.3, and the functionality is not present in DX10.
> Personally I'm not really against requiring drivers to implement this
> (though I'd like to hear more opinions), however whoever introduces this
> feature should then also try to unbreak the drivers.

Well the upstream 965 driver already implements this so I expect our
i965g port should also do it if worked.

Everytime you guys introduce a feature that you consider necessary for
svga, someone from r300g (MAD or Marek) fixes up r300 pretty quickly
afterwards, again I'm seeing a bit of a double standard here. I'm not
against a CAP bit but I'm quite willing to fix softpipe + r300g to
pass the glean test and other driver writers can notice in their
regular piglit runs the test fails for them and they can fix as and
when.

Dave.