[Mesa-dev] so the development model is working?

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Fri Apr 30 13:18:31 PDT 2010

Bridgman, John wrote:
> [...]

I'd rather avoid cherry picks like that, but that's better than bugs
not getting into the stable branch at all.  A neat git history (w/out
duplicate commits) isn't as important as getting fixes into the stable
branch either, IMO.

If fixes originate in the stable branch, they won't get lost or left
behind from master thanks to periodic merges.  As it now, when things
are fixed on master they're not getting into the stable branch.  Even
if we had a cherry-pick policy, I'm sure some fixes would fall through
the cracks.

> Is it fair to say that if a developer is working in master and
> notices a potential bug fix then it's OK to fix in master and
> cherry-pick that fix to one or more stable branches afterwards, but
> if the "primary task" is fixing a bug (particularly a big
> discovered in stable) then fixing first in the stable branch is
> preferred ?

Well, if I said "OK", that'd be an excuse for people to just work on
master all the time (and again, I bet some of those fixes would get lost).

> re: the overall development model, my main question would be
> whether continuing work on a release branch after the initial
> release is really still required now that we have quarterly major
> releases for all the major components.

I think that maintaing stable branches is important and master is not
always a stable place.

-Brian