[Mesa-dev] so the development model is working?

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Fri Apr 30 16:23:11 PDT 2010

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 14:59:09 +1000
Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Jesse Barnes        4                     0
> - some good DRI2 fixes, I'll allow Jesse to reveal his own opinions on
> getting those in.

Fixing in master and cherry picking is easier for my work flow; I don't
have a setup as sophisticated as what Brian and Keith mention, even
though I test/build on 6 or so machines regularly.

Plus I think it makes more sense; I don't like to merge changes to the
stable branch unless they've been tested a bit, since causing
regressions is so easy.  Committing to stable first increases the
chance that the stable branch will be broken regularly, imo.  It also
makes it much easier to just commit fixes as you go when developing a
new feature or doing testing, without interrupting, switching to
another directory or whatever, and potentially changing out some other
components due to feature mismatch (e.g. X server due to protocol or
interface changes).

For better or worse (based on the rest of this thread), it sounds like
stable is missing a lot of fixes and development it would otherwise
get, due to the development model we have today.

Jesse