[Mesa-dev] talloc (Was: Merge criteria for glsl2 branch)

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 07:58:47 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 7:00 AM, José Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:
>> Really optimising for the wrong bunch of people here by dragging this
>> stuff into mesa git.
>
> Many projects do this: they include the source of other projects, to
> make it easier to build without having to build all dependencies.

This is true, but it's also quite annoying. Take ioquake3 for example,
in order to make it simpler for Windows and Mac OS developers, they
include in SVN things like the libSDL headers, OpenAL headers, static
libraries for OpenAL, libSDL, and libcurl, and the sources for
libspeex, libcurl, and zlib.

So the Linux packagers have to jump through hoops trying to untangle this mess.

What Dave's saying with "optimizing for the wrong people" is that
we're including lots of things in the Mesa code that most people (most
users of Mesa are Linux/BSD/UNIX users) don't need, and by including
these things with Mesa, we're making it more difficult to package Mesa
for most people.

Frankly, it's also a bit hard to empathize with any "this makes
Windows development harder" arguments when we don't have the code that
you're building on Windows. But I digress...

Surely moving external build dependencies to another git repository
would satisfy everyone.

On another note, Dave might sound annoyed in these emails, but if he's
like me, it's because he's read lots of emails about problems caused
by Windows that, again, most people don't care about, and has held
back on saying anything until now. It is frustrating to see things
like merging glsl2 held up because of Windows.

Matt