[Mesa-dev] draw: Replace varray and vcache by vsplit

Chia-I Wu olvaffe at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 08:09:22 PDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Keith Whitwell <keithw at vmware.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 07:46 -0700, Chia-I Wu wrote:

>> > Hi - I haven't looked at the patches yet, but a couple of questions:
>> >
>> > How does this interact with the draw_pipe_* code - which requires
>> > decomposed primitives?
>> draw_pipe.c decomposes the primitives.  It is there before because it
>> has to support varray and vcache_check_run which do not decompose.
>
> OK.
>
>> > How does this cope with indexed rendering where the vertex buffers
>> > themselves are too large (for hardware or some other entity)?  Eg.
>> > imagine the hardware could cope with up to 64k vertices, and you have a
>> > drawelements call randomly referencing vertices in range 0..128k ?
>> Vertex fetching happens in the middle end so the range of the indices
>> is not a problem.  Though vsplit guarantees that it never calls the
>> middle end with more vertices than the middle end claims to support
>> (as returned by draw_pt_middle_end::prepare).  The limit is usually
>> decidied by the size of the buffer for vertex emitting.
>
> I guess I'm wondering how it does this.  If the middle end says it
> supports 64k vertices, and the vertex element looks like
>
>  [0, 128k, 64k, 32k, 96k, 16k, 1, ... ]
>
> what gets sent?  (Sorry, I still haven't looked at the code, you could
> well have addressed this).
I see.  The frontend would set

   fetch_elts = [0, 128k, 64k, 32k, 96k, 16k, 1, ... ]
   draw_elts = [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ...]

fetch_elts is processed by the middle end and it will fetch the given
vertices.  draw_elts will be passed to draw_emit or the pipeline.  It
is the new index buffer, which indexes into the fetched vertices.

It is actual the same as vcache.  So when fetch_elts is

   [0, 128k, 64k, 64k, 128k, 16k, ...],

draw_elts would be set to

   [0, 1, 2, 2, 1, 3, ...]

The number of elements to fetch (and shade) is minimized.

--
olv at LunarG.com