[Mesa-dev] Merging translate and unnormalized-coords-hint?

Luca Barbieri luca at luca-barbieri.com
Mon Aug 16 07:54:35 PDT 2010

Regarding OpenCL, it was found that nv50 has the normalization bit in
the sampler view, while r600 has it in the shader instruction.

Thus, for nv50, the are two options:
1. Move the bit from the sampler state to the sampler view -> have the
OpenCL state tracker create two sampler views, one for each
normalization.
2. Leave things as is -> have the nv50 driver create two "hardware
sampler views" (aka TIC entries) internally

Right now I think nv50 just doesn't create sampler views as persistent
GPU objects (and reemits them on sampler changes), but I'm not really
sure about it.

And for r600:
1. Have a normalization bit in the shader -> have the OpenCL state
tracker recreate the shader if necessary
2. Don't have the normalization bit in the shader -> have the r600
driver recompile the shader if necessary

If any Intel cards supports compute, that's also something to consider.

Note however that all of this is independent from the resource flags.