[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Mesa 7.9 release criteria

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 16:14:46 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> wrote:

> We'd still like to release Mesa 7.9 at the end of September.  That's
> four weeks from now.  As soon as the glsl2-loops branch lands (I'm
> expecting this to be this week), all of the major development on the new
> compiler will be complete.  There's still a fair amount of bug fixing to
> be done, but that feels like the stabilization phase leading up to a
> release.
>
> Looking at the result of a bugzilla search for "glsl" I see a few
> categories of bugs:
>
>  - Old bugs.  Everything before #29044 was filed before the glsl2 work.
>  This accounts for almost half of the bugs (35 of 72).
>
>  - Bugs that only occur on softpipe or llvmpipe.  Since these bugs
> aren't reproducible in swrast, i965, or r300c, my first guess is that
> the problem is either in the Gallium code or the Mesa IR to TGSI
> translation layer.  Someone familiar with that code is going to have to
> do *some* leg work here.  It may not be (as was the case with reads from
> shader outputs), but I don't have the information to determine that.

I'm not sure softpipe should be considered "too hard to look at", its
just a sw renderer, it not hard to setup/install, and since r300g is
using the same IR->TGSI transform and we have people fixing bugs in
that. Its just C code, unfamiliar C code but its not like it needs hw
to run on.

>  - Lack of noise support.  This is really only an issue for swrast.  As
> far as I'm aware, none of the hardware drivers actually support the
> noise opcode generated by the old compiler.  Our plan here is to
> implement noise in GLSL.  There are a couple issues with that,
> especially on old chips like r300 and i915, and it doesn't seem like a
> high priority.

r600c has NOISE support in its assembler, the mesa->tgsi layer just
translate noise into returning 0.5 which is pretty much what the
binary driver does. So at least generate the mesa opcode if you aren't
going to do anything else.

Dave.