[Mesa-dev] Floating-point formats from GL_ARB_texture_rg implemented

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 17:45:26 PST 2010

We will also need GL_ARB_color_buffer_float anyway and it shouldn't infringe
anything. This issue of the spec nails it:

>22. Should this extension require a floating-point color buffer
>    or texture?

>    RESOLVED:  No.  This extension provides the ability to pass an
>    unclamped color between vertex and fragment programs/shaders,
>    which may be useful. This was possible prior to this extension,

>    by passing the color data as texture coordinates or named
>    varying variables (for vertex/fragment shaders).

Yes, the color varyings between vertex and fragment shaders should be
clamped by default (see also piglit/glsl-clamp-vertex-color). And concerning
fragment color clamping, we should provide a way for a user to be able to
write and read unclamped color values once we have GL_EXT_texture_snorm, the
subset of which is already implemented in Mesa.

Marek