[Mesa-dev] RFC: Drop glew from mesa

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Wed Jun 9 06:58:55 PDT 2010

Jakob Bornecrantz wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Brian Paul <brianp at vmware.com> wrote:
>> Dan Nicholson wrote:

>>> glut might be something that deserves its own repo since some people
>>> use Kilgard's glut as their system glut. Requiring them to get that
>>> from a demos package seems a little odd. But splitting it out of the
>>> main mesa package seems nice, if not just for licensing reasons.
>> I'd be OK with that, but please don't remove it until glut is set up
>> somewhere else, either in the demo repo or a new repo.
>>
>> I could move the glew sources into the demo tree but someone else will have
>> to setup the automake stuff.
>
> I'm sure we can also make automake detect if glu and glut is installed
> and use the system ones instead of the ones shipping within the demos
> repo (also overridden with a option).
>
> Can we do the same to glu and glw?

Actually, I'd like to take a little time to let things settle down a
bit before moving GLU and GLUT out of the Mesa tree.  I'm still
cleaning up loose ends from the changes we've made so far.

Also, I like being able to build all these libs at once and point
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to one place to be sure I'm getting all the libraries
I expect.  Having 3 or 4 different locations for all this stuff isn't
going to be as convenient for some of us.  Let me think about it.

> Giving "--disable-glu --disable-glw --disable-glut" as arguments to
> configure is getting old.

Do you do that just to reduce compile time?

-Brian