[Mesa-dev] Announce: Remoting Gallium Driver

Chris Smowton cs448 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 12:16:16 PDT 2010

Hey all,

Apologies if this is the wrong place, but it seemed likely that mesa-dev
would include anyone interested in hacking graphics drivers.

Between Oct 2008 and May 2009, I developed a remoting Gallium driver for
the Open Trusted Computing project, intended for allowing guest virtual
machines to perform accelerated rendering, similar to Chromium, VMGL, or
VMWare's proprietary remoting technology. In a nutshell, it runs state
trackers in the guest, and multiplexes them onto a pipe driver which can
access hardware.

Its goals were to provide reasonably secure, but still performant,
rendering. The codebase was produced from a fork of the gallium-0.1
branch of the Mesa repository, circa October 2008, and as a result it's
no longer compatible with Mesa tip; however, bringing it up to date
doesn't look as if it would be too hard.

I wrote it to work with the softpipe driver initially, as at the time
the only complete Gallium hardware driver was for the i915, which I
didn't posess. However again getting it working with other pipes
shouldn't be too hard.

I've been meaning to do more work on this for the past year but not
found the time, so I figured I'd put it on the web and see if anyone's
interested in doing anything with it.

Anyone interested in the code, I've pushed it to Github along with some
documentation at http://github.com/smowton/vgallium

Any question, please email cs448 at cam.ac.uk

Chris