[Mesa-dev] Galahad

Keith Whitwell keithw at vmware.com
Wed Jun 23 02:34:21 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 00:17 -0700, Corbin Simpson wrote:
> So I just pushed yet another silly little thing to mesa/mesa. This,
> however, I think might actually be useful.
>
> Galahad is an implementation of that "what if we had a sanity layer?"
> idea from way back when. It is more or less the identity driver, but
> it complains whenever it gets bad state. Right now it only has a
> couple things, copied from r300g, but I'll be copying other drivers'
> sanity checks into it as those drivers pick it up.
>
> Of course, you might not want to enable it yet. Identity was/is kind
> of broken, and I've fixed enough of it for glxgears but not much else.
> Texturing, in particular, appears completely busted.
>
> Please flame me. It's apparently been a great day for flames.

Sorry to disappoint -- I'm really pleased to see someone make a start on
this.

I don't know how important it is to have this *and* the identity layer
-- the only real point for identity was as a template for building new
layers.  Now, if someone wants a new layer, they could start with your
sanity module & strip out all the checking.

It's a bit of a pain having lots of layers hanging around as they add
work to the already fairly tedious process of introducing interface
changes.  While I think we're mostly done with that now (modulo Roland's
array texture branch), I think it probably makes sense to prune a couple
of the less-useful layers we have hanging around.

Keith