[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Convert mesa to automake/libtool

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Sun May 2 10:48:18 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2 May 2010 09:46:15 -0700, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brian,
>
> I'm putting forward this request completely understanding your
> position why you don't want automake and libtool in your project.
> However, I think that mesa has outgrown the static Makefiles approach
> for a number of reasons. For a project that's grown to the complexity
> of mesa, I believe you need something that is more flexible and robust
> than the current system can provide. Eric (and I think Corbin, too)
> has a branch adding automake and libtool to the mesa repo.
>
>   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~anholt/mesa/log/?h=automake

Yeah, I got burned out on that work because the initial change is huge.
My intention for that branch was to get it to the point that it could
replace the static Makefiles and squash-merge it (sadly, the history is
completely unbisectable and has been sloppily rebased a couple of
times.).

The separate demos repo was a step towards making that work less
intrusive (and because demos in the main repo has bothered me since I
started out packaging Mesa).  After that, several of the libraries could
go away, and that branch would be much closer to done.

I completely agree with the rest of Dan's reasons for using automake.
In particular, it's standard, reliable, well documented, and we have a
lot of expertise in it among Mesa developers.  I'm sick of the Mesa
build process for developers and casual followers having to start with
"make clean".