[Mesa-dev] XvMC gets iDCT support (at least on R600)

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 08:28:55 PST 2010

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Christian König
<deathsimple at vodafone.de> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> just wanted to note that I got the first implementation of the XvMC iDCT
> code working. The luma/chroma scaling and clamping still need some work,
> but beside from that the pure matrix multiplication seems to work fine.

Nice work!

> At the moment it uses a quite inefficient two stage approach and on
> large resolutions mplayer is complaining that my system is to slow to
> play this (with only around 8% CPU in use). So the bottleneck is no
> longer the CPU and starts to be the GPU calculation.

Using tiled surfaces may help if you are doing a lot of texture
lookups.  There is support in r600g if you are using the latest drm
and mesa code.

> While working on the iDCT code I found a couple of bugs in the command
> checker, and also implemented support for signed normalized colour
> buffers in r600g, but I think I will spam the different mailing list
> with separate patches about this.

Make sure you are using the latest drm patches.  Dave and I fixed a
number of bugs in the CS checker in 2.6.37.  Also, make sure you have
the latest mesa bits.  I fixed the buffer alignment handling in r600g.

Alex