[Mesa-dev] Mesa (master): mesa: Validate assembly shaders when GLSL shaders are used

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Wed Oct 13 07:26:06 PDT 2010

On 10/12/2010 07:49 PM, Ian Romanick wrote:

> Brian Paul wrote:
>>> -
>>> +#include<stdbool.h>
>>
>> Ian, could we stick with GLboolean/GL_TRUE/GL_FALSE in core Mesa to be
>> consistent?  It wouldn't surprise me if stdbool.h isn't present on one
>> platform or another.
>
> If possible, I'd prefer not.  All of the GL types are ugly anachronisms
> from the early 90's when there were no standard, cross-platform sized
> types.  We've had those types for over a decade, and not using them
> makes the code more obtuse.  To be perfectly honest, I'd love to see
> them removed from OpenGL altogether.

My concern here is people will get lazy and just use int everywhere.
Using GL types such as GLuint, GLint, GLboolean and GLbitfield convey
useful information about the variables declared with those types.

For example, if I see "int buffers_used" I have to wonder if it's
really a boolean or a bitfield or a count (and what if it's
negative?).  I don't have that problem if the GL types are used.

We should keep the "write once, read many times" principle in mind.

> We already have stdbool.h in the Mesa tree for platforms that lack it.
>
> Moreover, we're using bool/true/false in all of the C++ code.  Even as a
> long time OpenGL programmer I find bool/true/false infinitely more
> natural than GLboolean/GL_TRUE/GL_FALSE.

Well, I like consistency and it looks a bit messy to mix GLboolean and
bool in neighboring code.

C++ has had its bool type for a long time I have no problem with using
it there.  GLboolean would look out of place in the GLSL compiler code.

> Either way, we should resolve this soon.  All of the EXT_sso work I've
> been doing using stdbool.h, so I'd like to know if I need to go back and
> change all of that.

I'd prefer GLboolean but I also don't want to cause you a lot of
inconvenience in your work.

Some O.S. projects have a pretty rigid coding style and I like the
consistency of that.  I'd actually like to have that in Mesa but I
also don't want to spend my time nagging people about their style.

-Brian