[Mesa-dev] Proposal for a long-term shader compiler (and IR) architecture

John Kessenich johnk at lunarg.com
Mon Oct 18 12:21:48 PDT 2010

Yes, nicely put Keith.

If the effort to make this work is not worth the benefit of standardizing
and picking up the LLVM optimizations, finding out sooner is better than
later.  Hence, any specific reasons why that would be the case are most
appreciated.

Jerome has a good point about the final register allocation and scheduling
to a specific GPU.  Note this is optional; LLVM can be use just as middle
end, with a well-defined IR above and below it, and the final back-end
targeting can be done by translating the bottom IR to a back-end
target-specific translator that focuses on target-specific optimizations.
 Showing that is also part of proving this will work.  But, the idea is that
every back-end does not have to re-invent lots of optimizations in LLVM that
all back-ends would benefit from, even if LLVM doesn't do the final
targeting.

Thanks,
JohnK