[Mesa-dev] KWin and Mesa

Zack Rusin zackr at vmware.com
Tue Apr 19 08:37:34 PDT 2011

On Tuesday 19 April 2011 10:52:08 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Hi Mesa-devs,
>
> yesterday I published a rant about Mesa breaking KWin and given some
> comments on Phoronix Forums it seems like there is the wish for more
> communication between our development groups and so I want to start it.
> Please  note that I am not subscribed to this mailing list, so please keep
> me in CC (I might not be able to reply this week at all). It is my wish to
> never have to rant about the state of Linux drivers any more and that I
> never have to see Mesa breaking KWin again.

Hi Martin,

I cannot speak for the others but your email is way too long. I doubt anyone
will read it. Let me just point out the following:
"Mesa is our most important upstream and KWin (together with Compiz
and Mutter) are your most important downstreams."
is not even close to be true. They're very important, but they're not even
close to be the most important. Reality is that no one is getting paid to make
sure KWin works on latest Mesa3D and that by itself makes it pretty
insignificant. In fact there's very few people running KDE as their main DE at
all here.

Your plead to understand that KWin has only three developer falls on deaf ears
given that basically everyone here works 12 hour jobs as it is. The reality is
that if you want things to never break you'll need to make sure of that
yourself. I'd probably start with some Piglit tests. Otherwise I suggest you
subscribe and keep that mouse cursor on "report new bug" button our bugzilla.