[Mesa-dev] KWin and Mesa

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Wed Apr 20 11:00:31 PDT 2011

On 04/20/2011 05:01 AM, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
[snip]
> Actually I agree with you and all other who wrote it: it is a hack and
> it should not be there. It was added to make KWin at least "work" around
> the 4.5 release. As a matter of fact and that question might sound
> stupid, where do I find information on additional API provided by Mesa
> than not parsing the renderer/version string? In the response to the
> blog post I received replies that we should use DRI2QueryVersion. That
> was the first time that I heard this thing existed. Where is that
> documented? How can we find out about it? I seriously have never ever
> heard about it or read about it in any documentation I have read so far.

I'm not sure where this is documented (not my area of expertise), but
IMHO this is why good communication is important: if you asked mesa-dev
or #dri-devel "How do I check if DRI2 is enabled?" someone would have
gladly taken the five minutes and pointed you to the right solution in
the first place.  We really are here to help...if you have questions,
feel free to ask.

You're absolutely right that KWin has to work out of the box (as well as
Compiz and GNOME Shell).  I'd been testing it on the Intel drivers, but
missed this...sorry.  We have a lot going on and sometimes things slip.
  I'll talk to our QA team about testing KWin before releases.

Please do let us know about any issues you come across. (If you can work
around them, you can report them...)  Even just a ping saying "Someone
told me KWin was broken on <platform/version>" is helpful.  We have the
hardware and can always try to reproduce the problem, even if you aren't
able to.

Also, FWIW, GLSL 1.20 (and GLSL ES) should work fine in 7.9 or later.
If it doesn't, we'd really like to know.

Thanks for all your work on KWin and KDE.

--Kenneth