[Mesa-dev] S2TC - yet another attempt to solve the "S3TC issue"

Egon Ashrafinia egon.mageia at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 8 00:58:38 PDT 2011

As I said in IRC ~ 2 Weeks ago, it is very Important that we support S3TC!

I mean, the main problem is that this is a Software Patent, correct? Always
as I know, only in the United States of America, correct?

If so, in my opinoin the solution is simple. Let's do it the same as we did
with --texture-float! Dont build it by default but ad a option to build it.
And then every Distribution can decide them self.
An American Distribution will disable it and an european distribution will
disable it.
Why dont we do it like this? I mean this is not a global patent. Even if so,
France wont accept it cause they dont have software patents. ( What a great
State!!! :D )

Also, please keep in mind! Without this support, Linux/Gnu will _never_ and
I realy mean _never_ a gaming Plattform. Not now and not in the future!

Let's do some may critical risks to improve the 3D Power of Gnu/Linux :D

Greetings

Egon Ashrafinia ( IRC: Wubbbi )