[Mesa-dev] S2TC - yet another attempt to solve the "S3TC issue"

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Aug 8 08:13:23 PDT 2011

On 08/08/11 00:58, Egon Ashrafinia wrote:
> I mean, the main problem is that this is a Software Patent, correct? Always as I
> know, only in the United States of America, correct?

Incorrect.   There's also quite a few other countries which allow software
patents directly, such as Japan, South Korea, Australia, etc.  Even if you
believe the oversimplified (and incorrect) view that the EU has no software
patents, European courts have enforced patents such as the MP3 ones when built
into a hardware device such as an MP3 player.

If you want to ensure Mesa is never built into a phone, or included as part
of a preinstalled Linux bundle on a laptop, doing the wrong thing with patents
is a good way to accomplish that.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com