[Mesa-dev] S2TC - yet another attempt to solve the "S3TC issue"

Rudolf Polzer divverent at xonotic.org
Mon Aug 8 13:02:13 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 12:52:14PM -0700, Corbin Simpson wrote:
[force_s3tc_enable]
> It is not transparent if applications must opt into using it.

Applications must also opt into using the regular S3TC extension, by using the
appropriate texture format constant. No difference there, just a different way
of doing it.

> Please go ask distributions to pick this up; we aren't going to do it
> without the legal issues being cleared up.

All I'd be asking for is a link to it as an alternate implementation of
libtxc_dxtn on http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/S3TC (immutable page). Possibly
with a text like

"An alternate implementation using a restricted format subset of S3TC
to possibly evade the aforementioned patent problems is available on
https://github.com/divVerent/s2tc/ - however, even though it is plausible, Mesa
or DRI give no guarantee that using this does not violate any less patent
claims than the full implementation of libtxc_dxtn does, so please consult
a lawyer if unsure."

Without that, it'll be hard for me to get distros interested in it.