[Mesa-dev] S2TC - yet another attempt to solve the "S3TC issue"

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Tue Aug 9 03:25:05 PDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 02:01:44AM -0700, Jose Fonseca wrote:

I don't have time for a longer reply now, but I do think your S2TC work is interesting, and that you've successfully contoured the patent claims, at least for the decompression, as I didn't look at the compression bits.

But, there was never anything you could have done to improve the situation for GPU S3TC decompression.  It's not just a US patent system vs the rest.  It's complex, but it's all in the archives, as it has all been discussed before.

How should you brought this? You should have assumed that we have our reasons -- after all we've been living under the frustration of these patents, walking on a mine field, for a decade --, instead of assuming we have NIH syndrome.

Jose