[Mesa-dev] DEATH to old drivers!

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Thu Aug 25 07:38:59 PDT 2011

On 08/25/2011 07:03 AM, Ian Romanick wrote:
> On 08/24/2011 05:07 PM, Jakob Bornecrantz wrote:

>>> I've put up an initial branch at
>>>
>>>        git://people.freedesktop.org:~idr/mesa kill-old-drivers
>>>
>>> The only thing that isn't deleted yet is BeOS.  There are a bunch of
>>> stray BeOS bits here and there, so I want to extract it carefully.
>
>> If you actually kept the DRI1 stuff in glx you would be able to install
>> old DRI1 drivers from a old mesa release alongside DRI2 drivers and
>> libGL from a newer one, since we have been pretty good (AFAIK) at
>> keeping the backwards compatibility in the DRI and libGL interfaces.*

Forgive my ignorance, but...doesn't changing dd_function_table break the
old libGL/new DRI driver API/ABI?  Or, is that different?  In
particular, the following functions have been dropped since 7.11:
- CopyTexImage1D
- CopyTexImage2D
- MapBuffer

And these driver functions have changed:
- MapBufferRange
- FlushMappedBufferRange
- GetBufferSubData
- BufferSubdata
- UnmapBuffer
- ChooseTextureFormat

If so, you couldn't build a 7.11 or 7.10 driver and use it with
master/7.12/8.0.  I suppose people could grab a snapshot right before
the removal, but we'll certainly change this again...

> That's a fair point.  Since we have a clean mechanism to improve those
> interfaces (e.g., DRI2!), there's relatively little cost in keeping that
> code around.
>
> I'd usually be pretty stoked about deleting 842 lines of code, but it
> feels pretty insignificant right after deleting 85,811 lines of code!  I
> may have now out ajaxed ajax. :)

It may be insignificant in size, but it _does_ make it harder for people
trying to get up to speed with the DRI code.  There are a lot of
structures, tokens, and functions which _look_ relevant for a DRI2
driver, but are actually DRI1.  It's not entirely clear, for example,
that dri_context and dri_screen are DRI1-only.  I imagine Chad has an
opinion on this.

So I'm still in favor of removing DRI1 entirely.  People can just stick
with 7.11.